Tuesday, March 20, 2012

They Shoot Children

Tonight I started packing for my vacation tomorrow. Out of the blue fell the pamphlet David gave me years ago. We had met at a booth Amnesty International was sharing with a group for Irish Freedom. I do not remember their name although I still have the booklet and bumper sticker. David gave them both to me as a reason to keep talking that afternoon so many years ago. The bumper sticker simply says "Give Ireland Back to the Irish". I had no idea that they were a front group until I showed my mother. She turned pale and handed it to my father. He just replied that he hoped I had not given them any of my money. When I asked why, not telling my parents I had in fact given them two dollars (I wanted a reason to keep talking to David), my father simply replied "They are an IRA Front, but I am sure you knew that". No, but thank you Dad for the history lesson. Let me just say I did not take David home to meet my parents after the first date

So here is the cover of that pamphlet. From Information on Ireland

They Shoot Children
The Use of Rubber and Plastic Bullets 
in the North of Ireland

Even the title of the booklet gives away the Nationalistic views of this group. They consider themselves a legitimate part of Ireland, not the United Kingdom. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Just wow. Reminds me of the time I was riding in the car with my mom through a poor section of Fort Worth. I asked my mom "Why doesn't the government just take all the money and divide it up equally so nobody has to be poor?" My mom turned that same shade of pale you are talking about, smacked my leg and said in kind of hushed tone, "That's communism! Don't ever say that again!"

    ReplyDelete